In this post I want to share how to size horizontal three phase separator. The steps used in this post were from Surface Production Operations by Ken Arnold & Maurice Steward. You can learn the details and equations used from the book. In the end of this post, I share free spreadsheet on how to size horizontal three phase separator.
The calculation used in the spreadsheet in for preliminary calculation only. As for fabrication, you may need to discuss more with related vendors and EPC constructors.
Required Data for Horizontal Three Phase Separator Sizing
To size horizontal three phase separator, we need the following data:
- Oil rate, water rate, and gas rate
- Operating pressure and operating temperature
- Properties (density, viscosity) of oil and gas, respectively
- Retention time of oil and water, respectively
- Droplet size of liquid and oil to be removed